Wednesday, November 30, 2011

When the going gets tough, the tough make soup

Times are tight all over.  Our family, like so many others, is having to take a hard look at our finances and make some uncomfortable choices.  I share this not because I want to get into a discussion of money management but because I want to share that I am struggling with stress and anxiety.  My entire being is urging me to plop down on the couch with a fuzzy blanket and a container of ice cream to medicate and stuff my feelings of discomfort.  I would love to dive into a grande peppermint mocha and swim around in its warm, sweet, cozy, goodness.  I am choosing to do neither of those things.  Both, because we have stopped buying ice cream and lattes (for calorie and financial reasons) but also because I know I won't be helping my situation by stuffing and wallowing.

Changing our financial situation is a long term process not at all different from changing our weight.  I know that my immediate feelings of anxiousness will be much better dealt with by taking some other action.  Everyday I have to make choices that will keep me pointed toward my goals of improved health and lower weight.  It costs me no money to exercise and it makes as big of an impact on my mental health as my physical wellbeing.  I can also play with my son, engage with friends, listen to music, or tackle a creative project around the house.  All of these activities keep my mind and body working in a positive way while crowding out negative feelings.

Today I am going to channel my anxiousness into food, not eating but cooking.  My kitchen is full of beautiful ingredients that I am going to use to transform our remaining turkey into delicious soups.  The activity will allow me to feel productive and provide for our family.  One of the things I love about making soup is using spices.  Even the most basic of ingredients become a fancy meal when they are all spiced up. The smells and colors will delight my senses while I cook and be delicious when we eat them. 

By making soup I can take the food we have in the house and stretch it by freezing what we won't eat right away.  Working in my cozy kitchen is a great way to pass the afternoon and will help us stay on track both physically and fiscally.  



No comments:

Post a Comment